Friday, January 1, 2010

In Memory of Ella Sue Terrill 1943-2009



My dear mother, Ella Sue Terrill, unexpectedly passed away a week before Christmas.This is a very difficult time in my life as well as my entire family. After reviewing her obituary, I felt it did not even begin to tell the story of my mother, at least what she has meant to me. I would not be "Drawing All Day" if not for my mother and father and their support through the years.

I grew up in a fairly small town. There wasn't a lot of "The Arts" present in my little corner of the world. But, at a young age my mom recognized my ability and nurtured it. I remember her taking me to a retired woman's house who taught art to children. I remember my mother supplying me with art sets to teach myself how to paint and draw (I always think of the John Gnagy sets, along with the Walter Foster books). When I was older she enrolled me in classes at the Middletown Fine Art Center to take drawing and painting classes from a wildlife artist. I was the only youth attending classes with mostly retired folks (I still recall this is where I learned how to draw an eye). Not having any real art classes in high school, she was always looking for ways to expose me to art instruction.

The years went by, countless sketch pads, pencils and paints used up, walls filled with my creations, and it was time to attend college. I went off to Miami of Ohio to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. My parents continued support was amazing. Some parents may have viewed my love of art as a hobby, not as a potential career, but I didn't ever hear the "you better have something to fall back on" speech. Both my mom and dad totally supported me in my quest. I went on to achieve success and personal fulfillment in my chosen vocation. I am lucky, I get to "Draw All Day". I owe this to my parents.

Ella Sue Terrill was an amazing mom, wife, nana, and friend. She gave me the tools to be a good man, husband and father. She was also my muse.

I love you mom.



Mom and Me


Mom and my son 


 
Mom and my daughter 



 
On my wedding day, which is also her birthday



9 comments:

Sarah said...

How very sweet David. I am so sorry for your loss. And I am so happy that you've shared some wonderful memories of her with us here. I'm sure you have many more. May they sustain you through the hard times when I'm sure you miss her so much. Sarah

Julie said...

What a beautiful tribute. We love you guys and are thinking of you.

David Allen Terrill said...

Thanks to you both. Your support means so much.
David

whitney said...

you and alexandra have been heavy on ian and i's hearts this Christmas. i'm so sorry for your loss, david. continue to talk about her, share her stories, make keepsakes to pass along to your kids...keep her alive in spirit! press through the pain it conjurs up--pain can be a good thing. i reflect on the loss of my mother almost 5 years ago...unfortunately, we just have to live with a "new normal" and realize how much each day really does count. bless you guys...

GWIII said...

Feel our hearts with you at this time of sorrow.
George & Susan

David Allen Terrill said...

Thanks for the all the love and support.

wadi Wolfe said...

Ella Sue was my Great Aunt, is my Great Aunt, so long as she lives in my heart. I miss the times of my youth spent with the Terril family. I remember the way Aunt Sue loved having all of her family and friends in the same house while Big John looked over us with satisfaction. I pray for you Dave, and those supporting you at home. I keep both Johns and Tammy in prayer, and all their families. By Knowing the love and respect that abode throughout the Terril home, I've find myself using them as the measure of a family.

almightypegnator said...

What a nice tribute. I am so honored you shared it with me. I was not even able to consider something like this so close to my father death. You are a wonderful person.

David Allen Terrill said...

Thank you for the kind words.

Post a Comment